Written by Ella Andrews, Guest Writer
Sooner or later that time of your life when you need to change location will come knocking on your door and will invite you to think hard about it. Not the end goal of the relocation itself, but rather the process of moving house, which comes with a lot of stress, and it requires you being careful, patient, and diligent. It is not something you cannot handle, as people have been doing that for an eternity, and are quite accustomed to it. You have all the qualities needed, you simply need to exercise them. Yes, there will be stress, there always is, but you need not struggle for it, and you need not give in to it. Here are some tips you can follow to make your move as easy as possible.
• Before the packing starts, make sure you have a moving checklist. That is to say, take a pen and paper and start listing everything – literally everything – that you will be taking with you. Make a copy of it for the removal company as well.
• Find a moving company before you start packing. This search might take you a day, or it might take you a week. You need to find a reliable one that will take care of everything you need, and will need to insure your belongings, so make sure that the one you get has all the legal papers required.
• When packing, make sure you use boxes, and never bags, especially if you want all your things intact. Boxes are not a guarantee, of course, but, unlike bags, they will not bend and warp items just by piling them up. And do make sure you pack tight – the less space there is, the less damage there will be. Use as many packing materials you can find, like newspaper or bubble-wrap.
• If you have kids, you should pack their room last, and when you get to the new place, unpack it first. During a stressful event such as moving, kids can be a huge distraction and sometimes an obstacle, and so you should change their habitat as little as possible.
• If you have pets like cats or dogs, it might be a good idea to find them a portable pet crate. This way you ensure that they will not get in your way when things get most hectic. And do not think of it as inhumane – it is only a temporary measure to have a less stressful move.
• Do not forget to relocate your mail, and call all your house services – phone, electricity, etc. – to inform them about your relocation. You do not want bills in your name to keep piling up at the old address.
• Take any help that is offered during the move. The loading and unloading will be faster, the unpacking, much swifter. Do not get too arrogant about any element of the move – there is always room for failure, and you need not fill it.
Follow these tips and you should have a pretty uneventful, and hopefully peaceful moving process.
Read more tips on removals here: belsizeparkmanandvan.co.uk
And feel free to leave comments below!