Ayla PR Representative with Moving Made Smooth, Inc.
Not everyone has the tenacity or energy to take on unpacking their belongings after a long day of moving. And we hear you! The moving process is stressful and draining. So, we've compiled a list of several things to help you unwind the night after your move. You may want to take a look at our blog covering the Open First Box for some ideas on what to have ready for your first night.
1. Find your favorite too-big hoodie, or your comfiest PJ's and get cozy on the couch. Sometimes all you need to make your new place feel like home is to make yourself comfortable in it.
2. Make an appointment for a professional massage. This can be a great way to unwind after any stressful day, so why not after your move? Get yourself pampered at any number of spas in the Omaha area. Click this link to see Google's listing.
3. Have you set up your TV yet? If so, you can spend the night chilling on the couch and marathoning your favorite shows or movies on DVD or Blu-ray. If your cable is already set up, channel surfing can be the best stress reliever.
4. Hook up your stereo or pop in your headphones. Hearing your favorite song, the one that makes you say, "That's my jam!" can take you right back to better times and kick the lingering stress where it counts.
5. Go to the nail salon and treat yourself to a mani-pedi. Maybe invite your bestie and make it a girl's night. Sometimes getting some me-time or going out with your best friend can make all the difference. For local nail salons follow this link.
6. Check out your new neighborhood. Find local landmarks and get familiar with it. Maybe check out the nearby bars or night clubs. If you have the energy, go out dancing. Maybe a good dose of fun is all you need to ditch the stress. Check out your nearby restaurants, maybe you'll find your new favorite place. For night clubs click here; for restaurants click here.
7. Go to the gym or a jog at a nearby park. Exercise is a proven stress reliever and is sure to get you in a positive mood.
8. Pull out your yoga mat and get some use out of your new living room floor. Yoga and meditation are great for diminishing stress and centering your mind and body.
9. Unpack a good book and sit in your favorite chair. Before you know it you'll be so engaged in that new world that you'll forget the stress of your current predicament.
10. Get in a long nap. Sometimes the best way to unwind is to hit that mental 'restart' button and sleep off the stress. You should wake up feeling refreshed andenergized. Maybe even motivated enough to start unpacking all those boxes.
11. Break out the scented candles and bubble bath! The hot water and aromatherapy will melt away the tension of the day and relax your stiff muscles. Have a glass of wine and maybe some soft mood music or ocean sounds.
12. Go out shopping or check out your favorite online stores. Buying yourself a present is a great pick-me-up. Pick up that handbag you've been eyeing or raise your self esteem by getting yourself something pretty. Maybe check out a home decoration store and plan the feng shui ofyour new place. Even some window shopping can do you some good by just getting out of the house.
13. Practice your favorite hobby. Grab your crochet bag and finish that scarf you've been meaning to complete. Bake the kids some cookies and build a blanket fort. Get out your sketch pad and draw for awhile. Hobbies are great for getting that little extra joy out of your day.
14. Hook up your game system and play some Call of Duty with your buddies (if your internet is turned on) or complete the campaign mode that you haven't gotten around to finishing. Play some board games with the kids. Some of the best times are sitting around the table and watching as the Jenga tower topples.
15. Turning off your cell phone. For some professionals this is a no-go, but for the majority of us it's not all thatimportant to have our phone on 24/7. Escape the worry and constant interruptions that sometimes occur when your phone is on.
16. Order pizza and invite your friends over for a movie night (or bring the pizza over to their place if you haven't unpacked your entertainment system yet). Who knows a better way to relax you than your best friends, right?
17. Surf the internet. Read some interesting articles or watch those funny cat videos your girlfriend sends you from YouTube. Find out the latest celebrity buzz or catch up on your favorite podcasts.
18. Get your favorite take-out or delivery food and cuddle with your significant other. Devote some time to them and maintain your relationship. Not only can this benefit you in the short term, but this can prevent future stress as well.
I hope that you have a great time learning to remove the stress from moving and that these suggestions have helped you or at least given you some ideas of your own. If you have a great idea for decreasing your stress after moving, please share it with us in the comments below. And as always, have a great move!